Resource HackerTM is a freeware utility to view, modify, rename, add, delete and extract resources in 32bit Windows executables and resource files (*.res). It incorporates an internal resource script compiler and decompiler and works on Win95, Win98, WinME, WinNT, Win2000 and WinXP operating systems.
Viewing Resources: Cursor, Icon, Bitmap, GIF, AVI, and JPG resource images can be viewed. WAV and MIDI audio resources can be played. Menus, Dialogs, MessageTables, StringTables, Accelerators, Delphi Forms, and VersionInfo resources can be viewed as decompiled resource scripts. Menus and Dialogs can also be viewed as they would appear in a running application.
Saving Resources: Resources can be saved as image files (*.ico, *.bmp etc), as script files (*.rc), as binary resource files (*.res), or as untyped binary files (*.bin).
Modifying Resources: Resources can be modified by replacing the resource with a resource located in another file (*.ico, *.bmp, *.res etc) or by using the internal resource script compiler (for menus, dialogs etc). Dialog controls can also be visually moved and/or resized by clicking and dragging the respective dialog controls prior to recompiling with the internal compiler.
Adding Resources: Resources can be added to an application by copying them from external resource files (*.res).
Deleting Resources: Most compilers add resources into applications which are never used by the application. Removing unused resources can reduce an application’s size.
- Bugfix: Adding a resource to a file without any resources was broken
- New: Can now change a text resource’s format (unicode, UTF-8, ANSI)
- Bugfix: Some Delphi forms were not being decompiled or recompiled correctly
- Bugfix: An occasional PNG image was not being displayed
- Bugfix: Shrinking the main window very small caused a divide-by-zero error
- Bugfix: Error when compiling ansi encoded *.rc files
- Bugfix: RCDATA resources not displayed in their optimal format
- Bugfix: Error when trying to display ‘compressed’ resources
- Bugfix: ‘Compressed’ files can no longer be modified and saved
- Bugfix: Significant bug in the recompiler
- Bugfix: Minor bug displaying animated cursors
- Bugfix: Some monochrome images weren’t being displayed
- Bugfix: Removed extraneous button in “Import Resources” dialog
- Bugfix: Manifest resources were being converted to UCS-2 format.
- Modified: Increased font sizes in all dialogs
- Bugfix: Some Delphi forms were not being decompiled
- Bugfix: Hiding the toolbar disabled hide/show dialogs/menus menuitem.
- Bugfix: Some images were not being displayed
- 4.2.0 (from ver 4.0)
- Numerous bug fixes to compiler
- Numerous cosmetic changes to GUI.
- Now easy to create resources from scratch
- Now easy to compile *.rc script file from both the commandline and the GUI
- Added script templates for new resources
- Added search feature
(32 & 64bit)