MKVToolNix is the one of the best collection of tools (mkvmerge, mkvinfo, mkvextract, mkvpropedit and mmg) for modifying MKV files.
The graphical user interface (GUI) of the program allows you to manipulate Matroska (MKV) files in several ways.
You can use those tools to create, split, edit, mux, demux, merge, extract or inspect Matroska files.
MKVToolnix will also work with other video formats. Such as AVI, MPEG, MP4, MPEG, Ogg/OGM, RealVideo, MPEG1/2, H264/AVC, Dirac, VC1.
And more as well as some video codecs such as VP9 video codec support – reading from IVF, Matroska, WebM files, extract to IVF files.
Moreover the program can work with audio files such as AAC, FLAC, MP2, MP3, AC3, DTS/DTS-HD, Vorbis, RealAudio. And also work with most subtitle formats including SRT, PGS/ SUP, VobSub, ASS, and SSA.
It is a cross-platform application that will work on Microsoft Windows (both 32 and 64-bit versions), Apple macOS and Linux operating systems.
Here is also the portable version which does not require installation. You just need to start the function. It can also be stored on external devices and run on any computer you have access to.
Changes in MKVToolnix 75.0.0 “Goliath” (2023-03-26):
New features and enhancements
- mkvmerge: MP4 reader: mkvmerge will now read Timed Text (FourCC `tx3g`) subtitle tracks & convert them on the fly to Matroska’s simple text subtitle format (`S_TEXT/UTF8`; text only, no styles).
- all: switched back to using `boost::filesystem` functions for creating directories instead of the ones introduced to work around bugs in `std::filesystem`. The latter didn’t work correctly with UNC paths after the switch to `boost::filesystem::path` in v74.
- mkvmerge: VobSub reader: mkvmerge will now probe the `.idx` file during VobSub identification even if the `.sub` file is passed as the source. Avoids mis-detection of the `.sub` as MPEG program streams.
- MKVToolNix GUI: the GUI could abort with an exception on startup while looking for the `mkvmerge` or `mediainfo` executables due to inaccessible folders.
- MKVToolNix GUI: preferences: when opening the preferences the first time the UI might pre-select the first entry in the list of interface languages if the operating system’s language is not available for MKVToolNix. This might also happen on Linux if e.g. `en_GB` is set, even though `en_US` is available. Now English (`en_US`) will be selected instead.
- MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: when adding files the GUI has special handling for chapter/tags/segment info files. This is done by comparing their content to certain patterns. This recognition could wrongfully be triggered if any such file was embedded in another file verbatim, e.g. with a chapter XML file attachment in a Matroska file. When trying to add that Matroska file, the GUI would treat it as a chapter file instead of a regular one. This content-based detection was fixed.
- mkvpropedit, GUI’s header editor: removed support for the deprecated “minimum cache” & “maximum cache” track header elements.
One thought on “MKVToolnix 75.0.0”