TeraCopy is a nifty piece of freeware that improves the Windows copy/move function and adds useful extras like checksum calculation and permanent delete.
In case of a copy error TeraCopy will try to recover. If unable to recover in the worst case scenario it will simply skip the problematic file, not terminating the entire transfer. It can also wait for network or device reconnection.
Unnecessary files can be skipped to reduce the transfer time. During the process, TeraCopy shows detected errors, and allows you to fix the problem by recopying only the problematic files.
TeraCopy can verify files after they have been copied to ensure that they are identical. This is done by comparing hashes of source and target files.
Supported algorithms: CRC32, MD5, SHA-1, SHA-256, SHA-512, Panama, Tiger, RipeMD, Whirlpool and xxHash.
TeraCopy can optionally show a confirmation dialog on every drag and drop operation. It can prevent you from moving folders accidentally from one location to another.
TeraCopy can keep history of recently used directories, as well as show folders which are open in Explorer and other file managers.
TeraCopy Change Log
– Added: option to execute PowerShell scripts on a job completion.
– Added: a sample PowerShell script for Pushover.
– Added: start verify process at any time from the context menu.
– Added: load hash files in UTF8 format by default.
– Added: show filenames of renamed files in the file list.
– Fixed: minor scrolling issues in the file list.
– Fixed: Deleting source files on canceling move operation with enabled verification.
– Favorite folders editing.
– Option to run a custom .cmd file on task completion.
– md5sum format for most hashes.
– Better icon for “Waiting for other transfers” status.
– Fixed: SQL Engine error.
– Fixed: random crash while scrolling files.
– Updated: language files.
– Added: multi-language support.
– Added: show all options in File Replace dialog.
– Fixed: ‘Keep both’ now applies to one file only.
– Added: ‘Close panels’ command.
– Fixed: crash while scrolling the log.
– “Clear Transfer History” menu item.
– Closing application while copying.
– Fixed: Drag and Drop from 7-Zip File Manager caused Unable to Access error.
– Fixed: Drag and Drop from Filezilla caused Unable to Access error.
– Fixed: TeraCopy does not handle command line as expected.
– Fixed: folder names with dots are handled incorrectly by TeraCopy.
– Fixed: copied files have their “Date Modified” set to the current date/time.
– Fixed: the active area of “Close” buttons.
– Improved: Destination File Dialog.
– Pinnable expanded views.
– Fixed: error in overlapped reading.
– Fixed: Drag and Drop from 7-Zip File Manager causes Unable to Access error.
– Fixed: checksum file saved in the wrong path.
– Fixed: when started after install, an error occurs.
– Fixed: crash at the end of each copy.
– Fixed: no checksum verification when moving files.
Version 3.0 RC 2
– Handle copy/paste from a virtual machine.
– Fixed “EListError: Duplicates not allowed” error.
– Incorrect icons display on 125% scaling level.
– Replace mode options in the main panel.
– Keep Windows from entering Sleep Mode during transfer.
– Show a popup menu with folders structure in Replace Dialog.
– Faster Hash Algorithm: xxHash.
– Auto-scroll file list during transfer.
– Create shadow copy only once.
– Fixed: Freeze when moving files.
– Menu button added.
Version 3.0 RC
– Large progress bar.
– Faster small files transfer.
– Starting waiting tasks in correct order.
– Regular deletion of old file lists to save disk space.
Version 3.0 beta 2
– Faster Logical to physical disk mapping.
– Mapped network drives detection.
– Notifications fix.
– Delete R/O files on replace.
– Add entire drive to file list.
– Quote comma in csv reports, export folders.
– File date discrepancy increased to 2 sec.
– Better completed state icon.
– Smoother scrolling with touchpad.
– Other bugfixes.
Version 3.0 beta
– Queue transfers for the same physical drive.
– Wait for network or device recovery.
– Insufficient space warning.
– Save checksums to a file.
– Panama, Tiger, RipeMD and Whirlpool hash methods.
– Support for CRC32 in the file name.
– Better reports (html and csv format).
– Show skipped/failed/transferred items only [Pro].
– Remove all transferred files [Pro].
– Keyboard navigation and menu.
– Error messages below filenames.
– Progress in the taskbar.
– Windows 8/10 notifications.
– ‘Rename all older target files’ mode.
– Replace mode and hash options.
– Timer in the replace dialog.
– Lot of bugfixes and UI improvements.
Version 3.0 alpha 5
– File list (view only).
– Show files with errors only [Pro].
Version 3.0 alpha 4
– File replace dialog.
– Clone files (copy/paste in same folder).
– Support for Windows 10 and Ultra HD monitors.
– Shutdown/Sleep/Hibernate on finish.
– Play sound at finish.
– Verify only copied files.
– Lot of bugs fixed.
Version 3.0 alpha 3
– Moving files.
– Delete/wipe files [youtu.be/MD7uVEofY0U].
– Create a new folder with selected items using Explorer context menu [youtu.be/qwGwf779D1Q].
– Select hash method for testing files.
– Verify against hash in clipboard [youtu.be/geLuL2PE2_I].
– Accept ‘license’ file from application folder (useful for portable version).
– Fixed panels auto close bug.
Version 3.0 alpha 2
– Panel UI.
– Test files after copy.
– Verify checksum files (.md5, .sfv, .sha, .sha256, .sha512).
– Test files and create checksum files (currently .md5 only).
– Fixed Explorer context menu extension.
Version 3.0 alpha
– Faster copy.
– Create MD5 checksum filelist on request.
– Single tabbed interface for multiple file transfer operations.
– Copy files using elevated Windows Service and Volume Shadow Copy.
– Unlimited number of files, the internal file list stored on disk instead of memory.
Minor bugfixes and UI improvements.
Version 2.3 beta 2
Added: Support for Total Commander 8.01 x64.
Added: Auto-splitting files on FAT32 filesystems.
Added: Additional check for trimming file, useful on D-Link NAS devices.
Added: ‘Confirm drag and drop’ option.
Fixed: Removing files from filelist when not enough disk space.
Fixed: Skip button now works on error files.
Changed: Flashing window instead of tray notification.
Version 2.3 beta
Added: Moving files within the same drive without launching TeraCopy.exe.
Added: ‘/Report’ command line key.
Fixed: Problem copying some locked files.
Fixed: Unnecessary verification of skipped files.
Fixed: Conflict with Google Chrome on Windows XP.
Fixed: Dropping files into TC window now possible in Waiting mode.
Fixed: Use %UL instead of %L in Total Commander buttons for Unicode support.
Added: Resolving linked network folders to real path on Windows XP.
Added: Option CopyCreationTime to ini file.
Added: ‘Remove other’ to remove non-selected files from the list [Pro].
Added: Better handling multiple copy processes.
Added: Multiple retries to delete source files and folders after moving.
Added: Tray notification when adding files to the existing process.
Fixed: Problem with some non-latin filenames.
Fixed: Copied files now have a correct creation time.
Added: WaitBeforeMinimize option to ini file.
Added: All .exe files and installer now digitally signed.
Added: Export filelist to HTML (sortable columns) and CSV files [Pro].
Changed: Graphical buttons instead of pseudo-graphical.
Changed: If Shutdown option is selected, batch file PowerOff.cmd will be launched.
Fixed: Transfer.log now written in Unicode.
Fixed: Renaming multiple files with the same name.
Fixed: Waiting for other processes to finish testing after copying.
Fixed: Mounted volumes detection when choosing same/different devices mode.
Version 2.2 beta 3
Added: Option ‘CardReader’ to ini file.
Specify a device name to unmount volumes instead of ejecting card reader.
Added: Better USB devices ejection.
Added: Option ‘ForceSameDriveMode’ to ini file.
Fixed: Crush when testing md5 files.
Fixed: Always test target folder and request admin privileges if needed.
Version 2.2 beta 2
Added: Language files (can be corrected with Poedit).
Added: Ejection of source/target removable drives, mounted volumes detection.
Version 2.2 beta
Added: Prevent system to enter sleep state.
Added: Moving files on same drive w/o enumerating files.
Added: Option to eject removable drives
Added: New browse for folder dialog.
Added: Ignore system reparse points.
Fixed: Auto-resume all files.
Fixed: Windows reported wrong file sizes on Mac drives.
Fixed: Moving file with same name as folder.
Fixed: Copy not started automatically.
Added: Multi-monitor support.
Added: Run additional app on finish (eject disk, etc).
Fixed: Error in CRC check of large files when moving. (#69).
Fixed: Error in waiting processes (#124).
Fixed: Copy stops in the middle of operation (#52).
Added: Option to use system write cache (#30).
Use for better compatibility with antiviruses and ftp-drives.
Fixed: Skipping files in move operation (#39).
Fixed: Deleting files without CRC test in move operation (#38).
Fixed: Problem with some Unicode names (#44).
Added: Links helper app enhanced.
Added: Few options to the configuration dialog.
Fixed: Works better with UAC protected folders now.
Fixed: few minor bugs.
Version 2.0 nightly build (June 21)
Added: Additional check if Admin mode required to write files to the root folder.
Added: TeraCopy Links helper app.
Version 2.0 nightly build (June 18)
Added: “TeraCopy…” entry in the 64-bit Explorer context menu.
Version 2.0 nightly build (June 16)
Added: CheckFreeSpace option in options.ini file.
Added: handling long file paths (>256 characters).
Added: ini file settings: MaxPathLimit, NoClose.
Version 2.0 nightly build (June 10)
Added: Support for Total Commander 7.5b4, Windows 7 Explorer.
Added: SetFileValidData function to avoid file fragmentation.
Added: /Close switch.
Version 2.0 nightly build (May 31)
Added: Progress indicator in Windows 7 Taskbar.
Added: Auto-hiding waiting TeraCopy windows.
Added: Clearing read-only attribute when copying from optical drives.
Fixed: Problem with 7-Zip.
Fixed: Trim file errors.
Version 2.0 nightly build (Feb 12)
Added: Favorite target folders [Pro].
Added: Auto-switch to Admin mode for UAC protected folders.
Added: Warning about FAT32 4gb file size limit.
Fixed: Waiting processes now starts in a correct order.
Fixed: Same/different drives detection under Vista.
Version 2.0 nightly build (Jan 31)
Fixed: Files added to the end of the queue if target folder and operation is the same.
Version 2.0 nightly build (Jan 14)
Added: Manager that allows you pause/resume/switch to other TeraCopy windows.
Version 2.0 nightly build (Dec 28)
Changed: Files added to the end of the queue if target folder is the same.
Version 2.0 nightly build (Dec 27)
Fixed: TeraCopy now keeps folders timestamp when copying.
Version 2.0 nightly build (Dec 26)
Changed: When moving, source files deleted immediately (after comparing size).
Changed: Buffer for small files increased.
Fixed: Sizes in TB not displayed correctly.
Version 2.0 beta 4a
Fixed: TeraCopy64.dll: removed dependency to atl80.dll.
Fixed: Error when copying entire drive.
Changed: Test result displayed as ‘N files match, N errors’.
Changed: Rename files by appending _(number).
Added: ‘WaitBeforeClose=N’ option (ini file). Set to 1000 for 1 second.
Version 2.0 beta 4
Added: Register copy handler from TeraCopy Preferences window.
Added: New Browse for folder dialog with ‘Make New Folder’ button.
Fixed: Problems with duplicating Windows Explorer File menu items.
Fixed: Moving files between remote UNC paths now faster.
Added: “Run in Admin mode” button.
Fixed: Setting as default copy handler under Vista Standard accounts.
Version 2.0 beta 3 (Vista x64)
Added: Support for Vista x64 (Use TeraCopy as default copy handler).
Added: Option to disable TeraCopy while Num Lock is ON.
Fixed: Problem with DEP resolved.
Version 2.0 beta 3
Fixed: Access violation error when calculating CRC.
Fixed: Hanging on same drive copy on single core CPU systems.
Changed: Sound is off by default.
Added: Progress bar color settings.
Added: ‘TestAlways’ option in the ini file.
Added: Switches: /SkipAll /OverwriteOlder /RenameAll /OverwriteAll /NoClose
! Command line changed:
TeraCopy.exe Operation [*]Source Target [/SkipAll] [/OverwriteOlder] [/RenameAll] [/OverwriteAll] [/NoClose]
*Source: Path to filelist
Target: Destination folder
TeraCopy.exe Copy D:\Video.avi C:\My Documents
TeraCopy.exe Move *C:\Temp\filelist.cmd C:\My Documents /OverwriteAll /NoClose
If you’re using Total Commander, please change button parameter from
Copy “%L” “%T” to Copy *”%L” “%T”.
Version 2.0 beta 2
Fixed: High CPU usage.
Added: Adding files in the separate thread.
Added: Sound related settings in the ini file.
Added: Number of retries in the ini file.
Version 2.0 beta
Changed: Small files are processed much faster.
Added: Start new copy in a separate thread.
Added: sfv and md5 files support.
Added: Entry in the Explorer context menu.
Added: Reorder file list. [Pro]
Added: Open destination folder in Explorer. [Pro]
Added: Show shell menu for any file in the file list. [Pro]
Added: Play sound when operation is complete (>10 sec).
Added: ‘Always on top’ option in the TeraCopy system menu.
Added: Drag destination folder to the “Copy” or “Move” buttons.
Fixed: Free space detection.
Fixed: Folder attributes now copied.
Fixed: Time left now displayed correctly on 12h systems.
Version 1.25 beta
Added: Option to run CRC test when file transfer is complete.
Added: Option to save report and shutdown system after file transfer.
Added: Support for 64 bit systems (beta).
Fixed: Problem with running TeraCopy on some Vista systems.
Fixed: Copying files to the root of the drive from Copy To menu.
Added: Unicode support.
Added: Timer to auto-close confirmation dialogs (Application Data\TeraCopy\Options.ini).
Added: Option to run Unlocker if destination file is used by another process.
You can download it at http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker
Fixed: Dragging files out of Recycle Bin.
Fixed: Keeping file attributes when copying.
Added: Create copy of folder by copy and paste at the same location.
Fixed: Copy to My Network Places shortcuts.
Fixed: Now files added to the end of file list.
Fixed: Problem with 7-zip. TeraCopy isn’t handling files in the Temp folder now.
Fixed: Handle file over 4 GB in size.
Added: Copy/Move menu: displays current folders in Explorer and Total Commander.
Added: Select: all files, with the same extension, in the same folder. (Pro version)
– Windows Vista/7/8/10.