WinRAR is a powerful archive manager. It can backup your data and reduce the size of email attachments, decompress RAR, ZIP and other files downloaded from Internet and create new archives in RAR and ZIP file format
Features of WinRAR:
• Using WinRAR puts you ahead of the crowd when it comes to compression by consistently making smaller archives than the competition, saving disk space and transmission costs.
• WinRAR provides complete support for RAR and ZIP archives and is able to unpack CAB, ARJ, LZH, TAR, GZ, ACE, UUE, BZ2, JAR, ISO, 7Z, Z archives.
• WinRAR offers a graphic interactive interface utilizing mouse and menus as well as the command line interface.
• WinRAR is easier to use than many other archivers with the inclusion of a special “Wizard” mode which allows instant access to the basic archiving functions through a simple question and answer procedure. This avoids confusion in the early stages of use.
• WinRAR offers you the benefit of industry strength archive encryption using AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) with a key of 128 bits.
• WinRAR supports files and archives up to 8,589 billion gigabytes in size. The number of archived files is, for all practical purposes, unlimited.
• WinRAR offers the ability to create selfextracting and multivolume archives.
Recovery record and recovery volumes allow to reconstruct even physically damaged archives.
• WinRAR features are constantly being developed to keep WinRAR ahead of the pack.
1. WinRAR can unpack contents of .zst and .zipx archives utilizing
2. Added support of Windows 11 Explorer context menus.
Beginning from Windows 11, an application can add only a single top
level command or submenu to Explorer context menu.
If “Cascaded context menus” in “Integration settings” dialog is on,
this single item is a submenu storing all necessary WinRAR commands.
If this option is off, only one extraction command for archives
and one archiving command for usual files are available.
You can select these commands with “Context menu items…” button
in “Integration settings” dialog.
3. “Legacy context menus” option in “Settings/Integration” dialog
can be used in Windows 11 if WinRAR commands are missing in
“Show more options” Windows legacy context menu or in context menus
of third party file managers. If WinRAR commands are already present
here, keep “Legacy context menus” option turned off to prevent
This option is not available in Windows 10 and older.
4. Windows XP is not supported anymore. Minimum required operating
system version is Windows Vista.
5. “Close” item is added to “When done” list on “Advanced” page of
archiving dialog. It closes WinRAR window, when archiving is done.
6. “When done” list is added to “Options” page of extraction dialog.
It allows to select an action like turning a computer off
or closing WinRAR after completing extraction.
7. Switch -si can be used when extracting or testing to read archive
data from stdin, such as:
type docs.rar | rar x -si -o+ -pmypwd dummy docs\
Even though the archive name is ignored with this switch,
an arbitrary dummy archive name has to specified in the command line.
Operations requiring backward seeks are unavailable in this mode.
It includes displaying archive comments, testing the recovery record,
utilizing the quick open information, processing multivolume archives.
Prompts requiring user interaction are not allowed.
Use -o[+|-|r], -p<pwd> or -mes switches to suppress such prompts.
8. New -ep4<path> switch excludes the path prefix when archiving
or extracting if this path is found in the beginning of archived name.
Path is compared with names already prepared to store in archive,
without drive letters and leading path separators. For example:
rar a -ep4texts\books archive c:\texts\books\technical
removes “text\books” from archived names, so they start
9. New -mes switch skips encrypted files when extracting or testing.
It replaces the former -p- switch.
10. New -op<path> switch sets the destination folder for ‘x’ and ‘e’
extraction commands. Unlike <path_to_extract\> command line parameter,
this switch also accepts paths without trailing path separator
11. If ‘p’ command is used to print a file to stdout, informational
messages are suppressed automatically to prevent them mixing
with file data.
12. “Generate archive name by mask” option and switch -ag treat only
first two ‘M’ characters after ‘H’ as minutes. Previously any
amount of such characters was considered as minutes.
It makes possible to place the time field before the date,
like -agHHMM-DDMMYY. Previous versions considered all ‘M’
in this string as minutes.
13. Maximum allowed size of RAR5 recovery record is increased to 1000%
of protected data size. Maximum number of RAR5 recovery volumes
can be 10 times larger than protected RAR volumes.
Previous WinRAR versions are not able to use the recovery record
to repair broken archives if recovery record size exceeds 99%.
Similarly, previous versions cannot use recovery volumes
if their number is equal or larger than number of RAR volumes.
14. Warning is issued if entered password exceeds the allowed limit
of 127 characters and is truncated. Previously such passwords
had been truncated silently.
15. If archive includes reserved device names, the underscore character
is inserted in the beginning of such names when extracting.
For example, aux.txt is converted to _aux.txt. It is done to prevent
compatibility problems with software unable to process such names.
You can use “Allow potentially incompatible names” option
in “Advanced” part of extraction dialog or command line -oni switch
to avoid this conversion.
16. WinRAR attempts to reset the file cache before testing an archive.
It helps to verify actual data written to disk instead of reading
a cached copy.
17. Multiple -v<size> switches specifying different sizes for different
volumes are now allowed also for ZIP archives:
WinRAR a -v100k -v200k -v300k arcname.zip
Previously multiple -v<size> switches were supported only for
18. Switches -sl<size> and -sm<size> can be used in WinRAR.exe command
line mode when extracting archives in any supported formats,
provided that such archive includes unpacked file sizes.
Previously these switches could filter files by size only in RAR
and ZIP archives.
19. Newer folder selection dialog is invoked when pressing “Browse” button
in WinRAR “Settings/Paths” page, “Repair” and “Convert” commands,
also as in few other similar places. Previously a simpler XP style
folder selection dialog was opened.
20. When restoring from tray after completing an operation,
WinRAR window is positioned under other opened windows,
to not interfere with current user activities.
21. “650 MB CD” is removed and “2 GB volumes” is added to the list of
predefined volume sizes in “Define volume sizes” dialog invoked
from WinRAR “Settings/Compression”.
22. “Rename” command selects the file name part up to the final dot.
Previously it selected the entire name.
23. If SFX archive size exceeds 4 GB, an error message is issued
during compression, immediately after exceeding this threshold.
Previously this error was reported only after completing compression.
Executables of such size cannot be started by Windows.
24. Command line -en switch is not supported anymore.
It created RAR4 archives without the end of archive record.
End of archive record permits to gracefully skip external data
like digital signatures.
25. Bugs fixed:
a) when editing a file inside of .rar or .zip archive,
WinRAR created a new SFX archive instead of updating an existing
archive if “Create SFX archive” option was set in the default
b) the total progress could be displayed incorrectly when using
-oi, -f, -u switches or appropriate GUI options;
c) “Find files” command with “Use all tables” option and command line
“it” commands failed to find strings in UTF-16 encoding.
Special build with latest windows 11 theme
Remark: WinXP is not supported anymore.
10 December 2021 – Change Winrar theme…
25 January 2022 – Added chinese version
(Registered Silent Install Repack 6.10) English