Rufus is a small utility that helps format and create bootable USB flash drives, such as USB keys/pendrives, memory sticks, etc.
It can be be especially useful for cases where: you need to create USB installation media from bootable ISOs (Windows, Linux, etc.). You need to work on a system that doesn’t have an OS installed. You need to flash a BIOS or other firmware from DOS. You want to run a low-level utility.
Rufus is significantly faster than similar utilities and it’s open source and free. All versions of Rufus allow the creation of a bootable USB from an ISO image.
Creating an ISO image from a physical disc or from a set of files is very easy to do however, through the use of a CD burning application For example, such as the freely available CDBurnerXP or ImgBurn.
Rufus Portable is a USB formatting utility which also can create a bootable USB drive using a bootable ISO image. This app requires admin rights. Despite its small size, Rufus provides everything you need!
Rufus is fast. For instance it’s about twice as fast as UNetbootin, Universal USB Installer. Or Windows 7 USB download tool, on the creation of a Windows 7 USB installation drive from an ISO. It is also marginally faster on the creation of Linux bootable USB from ISOs.
Rufus support UEFI as well as GPT for installation media, meaning that it will allow you to install Windows 7, Windows 8 or Linux in full EFI mode.
However, Windows Vista or later is required for full UEFI/GPT support. Because of OS limitations, Windows XP restricts the creation of UEFI bootable drives to MBR mode.
Supported Languages: Arabic, Bulgarian, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Croatian, Czech. Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian. Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Norwegian, Persian. Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Romanian, Russian, Serbian (Latin). Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
System Requirements: Windows XP or later, 32 or 64 bit doesn’t matter.
Changes in Rufus 3.2 (2018-09-11):
- Add RSA-2048 signature validation on all the server downloads
- Add “Quick” erase cheat mode (courtesy of René van der Zee)
- Add support for XP/Server 2003 x64 ISOs (courtesy of Mattiwatti)
- Improve ISO extraction performance by preallocating files (courtesy of Mattiwatti)
- Improve bad blocks check algorithm (from suggestions by AL.Skywalker)
- Fix progress not being displayed for Sylinux or GRUB downloads
- Fix application close when cancelling an image scan
- Fix an issue where FAT32 could still be selected for ISOs containing a >4GB file
Homepage – https://rufus.ie
Size: 1003 KB